Friday 16 March 2012

Zero

Zero. 


My high school maths teacher taught me that the single most important invention or discovery by either the Indians or the ancient Arabs (the jury is still out on this one) was the discovery of zero. He also went on to say that zero was like God. It meant that man had understood something that he could not see (effectively having zero of something meant not having any of that) In essence, man was closer to codifying calculus, economics and all those by-products of mathematics. 


Zero means a lot of things in my life too. The number of times I have watched Brian Lara bat live, number of consecutive pay cheques I have taken home, the number of Valentine's Days I have celebrated with my significant other, the number of times I did NOT enjoy a hot cup of coffee or a Jeffrey Archer book. Actually far too many to list in its entirety here. But some of the most significant instances that is of pertinence now are very saddening.


Zero.


The number of times the Sri Lankan Government has apologised to the people in the North of this country. 


Zero.


The number of times the LTTE apologised for the Kathankudy Massacre.


Zero.


The number of times the LTTE apologised to the Muslims who were asked to evacuate the North in 1990.


Zero.


The number of times both sides apologised for the so called "collateral damage" in their bitter war.

2 comments:

  1. Read all your posts and loved them all and this one is my favorite.Please keep writing. Btw what a coincident I've picked the same background picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Actually I thought the same thing too when I saw your blog :D. But then this is like the only 'academic' background available. So trust us 'Mechies' to pick the nerdy background. :)

      Delete