Wednesday 21 March 2012

Colour me, colour you

I have always wondered what it would be like to think in terms of colours. It has been a fascination since adolescence. To see a scenario or a mental picture of something and then to demarcate a colour for it. Its a very interesting experiment, trust me. 


Sometimes on a Saturday evening, here in Thailand, whilst walking along the 'shady grove' (the name I have given to a stretch of road adjoining the football field in my faculty) life seems to be a happy 'cream' colour. A Saturday spent tying up the loose ends gives a feeling of content nothing can disturb, nothing. 


On a Monday early morning, whilst waiting for the shuttle bus, time seems to be painting a portrait in cobweb-by gray, dull and not sharply defined. The same morning, the cup of coffee I have seems to be a teeming 'lively earthy brown', almost like the muddy rain waters, which give sustenance to the parched earth. 


A busy day is like 'copper sulphate blue', very nice to see, but the usefulness right about stops there. A lazy day is more like a 'burgundy', dark... yet soothing in its own right. 


I like the 'dark gray' the gathering of storm clouds brings about. Reminds me of the musty smells of the public library in Colombo, which is in turn associated with pure, unadulterated joy. I always tell my friends an evening spent drinking coffee, reading a 'good' book is metallic silver for me, the feeling of consanguinity  and contentment. 


Sometimes I feel 'dark blue', where my ego has been hurt, and I feel anger setting on. Then the 'dark blue' often turns 'boiling red', reaching a fever pitch when I say something that I would eventually regret. When looking back at the times I have lost my temper, which is normally during my 'peachy pink' times, a sense of shame takes over.


The colours I wear reflect my moods: full black when I am feeling a sense of something 'not so good' about to happen (bottle green-y feeling perhaps), splash of colour when my perspective on life is 'neutral yellow' (not bad, not good), brown when I am feeling especially 'fresh-y red'.

No comments:

Post a Comment